Author Notes: Wet nuts, only better, in my humble opinion. If you'd like to gild the lily, bedazzle the top of whatever you are pouring this on with a few flakes of Maldon. - mrslarkin
Food52 Review: Like a good wine, the salt in this caramel sauce achieves a great balance between notes of butterscotch and toasted nuts. It came together in a snap and was delightful spooned over vanilla ice cream. Since the recipe can easily be scaled up or down (I initially only made half a batch), it would make a perfect gift during the holidays, especially for friends who consider caramel a mystery best left to professionals. - chez_mere
Makes about 2 cups
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 2/3 cups heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- Maldon salt, for garnish
- 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Over medium heat, bring the water, sugar, and salt to boil in a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan. Cook for 3 minutes or so.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of butter. When butter begins to foam, pour in the cream. The mixture will bubble up, so be careful. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Move pan off the heat and stir in the remaining butter, then stir in the nuts. Let sauce cool slightly before serving.
- For storing, pour into a clean 2-cup jar and refrigerate.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Walnuts