If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For this recipe I suggest that you taste a lot as you go - because I am using fresh herbs, the flavor will vary - I picked mine and used them immediately so they had a lot of flavor but maybe you don't have the option to grow yours. I like a lot of spice, you may not. People's salt preferances vary. So - taste taste taste! - aargersi
- 3 cups corn off the cob (I used three cobs)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper - small dice
- 1/2 cup yellow onion - small dice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-3 serrano peppers - seeded, de-veined and minced
- 1 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
- 2-3 teaspoons fish sauce
- 4 - 8 mint leaves
- 6-10 basil leaves
- 1-2 limes
- Melt the butter in a large-ish saucepan over medium heat. Add in the onions and cook them until they are just clear. Add in the red bell pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes, then the corn and cook for 2-3 minutes. Now for the first decision re: serranos. If you don't tolerate spice, leave them out. Like it a little spicy? Add one. I added two. If you want it very spicy add three or four, but don't come crying to me in the morning :-)
- Now add the coconut milk and bring it to a simmer. Start adding fish sauce 1 teaspoon at a time, tasting after each addition. I found 2 1/2 to suit my taste, but you might like more or less. This is also going to reduce down a bit so bear that in mind.
- Simmer the mixture until the coconut had reduced a bit and the corn is tender/crisp, not mushy. This took me around 20 minutes. Now add in minced mint and basil leaves, and lime juice. Add the lime juice a half lime's worth at a time and taste after each addition. Do the same with the herbs - chop them and add them a pinch at a time. Stop when the flavor is to your liking.
- That's it! Eat up!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Corn