Author Notes: For this recipe I suggest that you taste a lot as you go - because I am using fresh herbs, the flavor will vary - I picked mine and used them immediately so they had a lot of flavor but maybe you don't have the option to grow yours. I like a lot of spice, you may not. People's salt preferances vary. So - taste taste taste! - aargersi
- 3 cups corn off the cob (I used three cobs)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper - small dice
- 1/2 cup yellow onion - small dice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-3 serrano peppers - seeded, de-veined and minced
- 1 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
- 2-3 teaspoons fish sauce
- 4 - 8 mint leaves
- 6-10 basil leaves
- 1-2 limes
- Melt the butter in a large-ish saucepan over medium heat. Add in the onions and cook them until they are just clear. Add in the red bell pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes, then the corn and cook for 2-3 minutes. Now for the first decision re: serranos. If you don't tolerate spice, leave them out. Like it a little spicy? Add one. I added two. If you want it very spicy add three or four, but don't come crying to me in the morning :-)
- Now add the coconut milk and bring it to a simmer. Start adding fish sauce 1 teaspoon at a time, tasting after each addition. I found 2 1/2 to suit my taste, but you might like more or less. This is also going to reduce down a bit so bear that in mind.
- Simmer the mixture until the coconut had reduced a bit and the corn is tender/crisp, not mushy. This took me around 20 minutes. Now add in minced mint and basil leaves, and lime juice. Add the lime juice a half lime's worth at a time and taste after each addition. Do the same with the herbs - chop them and add them a pinch at a time. Stop when the flavor is to your liking.
- That's it! Eat up!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Corn