If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Vegan sandwiches don't get any better than this. Hearty tempeh, which has been given a salty and smoky marinade, meets creamy hummus. Garnish with something green and crisp--like pea shoots, shredded romaine, or a sprinkle of green pepper, for contrast. —Gena Hamshaw
Smoky Tempeh and Hummus Sandwiches
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 8 slices of crusty, whole grain bread
- 1 cup pea shoots
- 1/4 cup hummus, or as much as you like
Hummus with Smoked Paprika
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Water, as needed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- To prepare the tempeh, whisk together the tamari, vinegar, syrup, olive oil, and paprika. Slice the tempeh into thin strips (1/4 inch) and marinate the slices in the mixture for several hours, or even overnight. Preheat an oven to 350° F and roast the strips on a lined baking sheet for 25 to 30 minutes, flipping once through, or heat a few teaspoons of olive oil in a large skillet and pan fry the strips for a few minutes, until each side is golden. Set the tempeh aside.
- To make the hummus, add the chickpeas, tahini, lemon, salt, and garlic to the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine. Run the motor and drizzle in some water in a thin stream, stopping often to scrape the bowl down as you work. Stop drizzling when the hummus is taking on a thick, creamy texture; be careful how much you use along the way, or the hummus will be too thin (I start with no more than 1/4 cup water). Once the texture is to your liking, drizzle in the olive oil and add the smoked paprika.
- To prepare the sandwiches, toast the bread. Top four slices with at least 1/4 to 1/3 cup hummus and a quarter of the tempeh slices, and top them with a generous amount of sprouts. Top the sandwich with another slice of bread. Serve.
Topics: Weeknight Cooking
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Cool Ice Cream Tips
They'll change the way you cook—er, churn
The coolest ice cream tips.
The zucchini spaghetti of Italy.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Orange you sweet.