If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My go to recipe when I don't have the time or I'm feeling too guilty to make eggplant Parmesan. - Flirty Foodie
Makes 2 stacks
- 1 medium sized eggplant, cut into 1/4 inch round slices.
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced (about 4.5 ounces)
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + some for the grill
- 5 fresh basil leaves, torn
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Do this step if you think your eggplant is particularly bitter (it starts to ooze gray liquid shortly after slicing). If not skip to step two. Place sliced eggplant in a colander covering both sides with kosher salt between each layer. Place a bowl under colander or in the sink to collect the expelled liquid. Cover eggplant with a plate slightly smaller than the colander, and then place a heavy pot on top to weight it down for 30 minutes to 2 hours (depending on how bitter it is). Rinse under cold water and pat dry.
- Make tomato sauce. Place 2 tbsp of olive oil, onions, and a pinch of salt in a small pot. Let onions sweat on low heat for about 10 minutes. Mix in tomatoes and garlic and simmer for another 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat and mix in fresh basil. Check for salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile heat grill or grill pan. Brush with oil. Grill eggplant for a few minutes per side. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Make 2 stacks layering about 4 eggplant slices per stack (depending on your eggplant), placing a bit of tomato sauce and a slice of mozzarella cheese between each layer. And ending with a bit of tomato sauce and a slice of mozzarella cheese. Serve warm. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Grilled Vegetable Dish