Author Notes: I developed this recipe this summer when the kitchen I was working in needed to use up a lot of extra cauliflower. Due to our clientele's dietary needs, it also needed to be low-fat and low-salt and vegan.
Like most soups and stews, this soup tastes even better the next day it also freezes really well. - Savorykitchen
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 15 ounces can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- cream, optional
- cilantro, optional
- lime, optional
- Heat a large saucepan or stockpot over medium-high heat and add the oil and vegetables. Saute the vegetables until softened and brown. Add the curry powder and cayenne and saute for three more minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes and enough water to the pan to nearly cover the vegetables. Cover the pan and simmer until vegetables are soft.
- Puree the soup in a blender or with an immersion stick blender until the soup is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped cilantro, a drizzle of cream, and/or a wedge of lime.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cauliflower Recipe