If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sweet, tangy homemade barbecue sauce is a perfect complement to the nutty, earthy taste of tempeh. This easy, crowd-pleasing dish is ideal for summer entertaining. - Gena Hamshaw
For the tempeh kebabs:
- 16 ounces tempeh (two 8-ounce packages), cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, deseeded and cut into 1 1/2 inch-squares
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large white or yellow onion, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, washed and trimmed
For the barbecue sauce:
- One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- Whisk all barbecue sauce ingredients together. Pour the sauce into a casserole dish (9 x 13 is fine, as is 9 x 9) and add the vegetables and tempeh. Coat the vegetables and tempeh well, and allow them to marinate in the fridge for two hours (or overnight).
- Divide the vegetables and tempeh evenly onto the skewers, alternating ingredients. Reserve some extra sauce for serving.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Place skewers on the grill and cook, basting occasionally, for 7 to 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and everything is browning. You can also do this on a grill pan, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes on medium-high heat. Serve immediately.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.