Author Notes: Fried oysters are a real treat. Until recently I thought of them as a food only to bought "out". I discovered the lure of the oyster fried at home and haven't looked back. I have tried both pre-shucked oysters (better than no oyster) and ones shucked to order (by me) for frying. There is no doubt that the home-shucked oyster yields a better result. However, if all you have is oysters by the pint, it's better than going without. I use a 50/50 blend of olive oil and canola to fry these babies. - Savorykitchen
Food52 Review: There are few foods more sumptuous than a well-fried oyster. Add a dab of homemade lemon and saffron-infused mayonnaise, a cold beer and some sunshine, and you've got yourself a party. Savorykitchen's oysters are delicately coated in a fine mix of Wondra and spices, ensuring that the oyster doesn't turn leathery waiting on a thick batter to cook through. The fragrant aioli perks up the flavor so that you get succulence, crunch and creamy tang all in one bite. -A&M - A&M
Serves 12 oysters
- pinches saffron
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 lemon
- In a medium bowl, steep the saffron in the water for a minute. Put the oils in a measuring cup or small pitcher. Add the egg yolk to the bowl and beat with a whisk or electric mixer (handheld mixer). With the mixer running, or while whisking madly, drizzle the oil in slowly until the mixture starts to thicken. Once it's begins to thicken, you can increase the speed at which you add the oil. When all the oil has been added, add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- 12 oysters, shucked
- 1 1/2 cup Wondra flour
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- oil for deep frying
- Heat 2" of oil in a deep saucepan, wok, or deep skillet to 325 degrees.
- While the oil is heating combine the flour, cayenne, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Toss the oysters in the flour mixture.
- When the oil reaches 325 , fry half the oysters until golden - about 4 minutes. Remove from oil and place on paper towels to drain. Let the oil return to 325 and fry the remainder of the oysters.
- Sprinkle oysters with salt and a few grinds of pepper. Serve with saffron aioli.
- Your Best Way to Prepare Oysters Contest Finalist!