If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These smashed potatoes are full of Indian flavors, and, served with a dollop of raita, they make a truly yummy side dish (or even vegetarian main course)! I make variations on this recipe for the wee ones that I nanny and they think these healthy potatoes are delicious! I hope you do too! —Helenthenanny
- 1 cup Plain Yogurt (I used non-fat Greek Yogurt)
- 1/2 Cucumber, peeled, seeded, and minced
- a few sprigs of cilantro, chopped small
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- black pepper to taste
Smashed Indian Potatoes
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1" chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 2 cups cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- about 5 tablespoons or so of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons garam masala spice blend
- 2 teaspoons ground fenugreek seed
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric root
- 2 teaspoons whole yellow mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- juice of one lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil potatoes until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook olive oil, garlic, onions, cauliflower, garam masala, fenugreek, turmeric, mustard seeds, cumin seed, red pepper flakes, and fresh ginger over medium heat. Stir until seasonings are well distributed. Salt and Pepper to taste. Cook until onions are translucent and cauliflower is almost tender. Add peas and cook for five more minutes. You may need to add a little more olive oil if things start to look dry.
- Add the vegetables and potatoes to a big bowl and stir until well combined. I stir quite vigorously, so that the potatoes get all smashed up.
- Add the chopped cilantro and lemon juice last and stir again. Salt and Pepper to taste and serve!
- To make the Lazy Raita: Combine ingredients and stir until well combined. Serve alongside or atop the potatoes and enjoy!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mashed Potatoes
Quick! Make these summery recipes while there's still time
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Let's iron things out.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
The best shots from the Food52 Baking Cookbook.
Storage made crystal clear.