If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For me, the best part of mashed potatoes is mashed potato cakes the next day. These are a fantastic base for poached eggs (think a potatoey eggs benedict) and make a great light lunch topped with salsa. Panko breadcrumbs are a perfect coating, but I've used matzo meal, grits or plain flour as a breading too. - Savorykitchen
Makes 6-7 cakes
- 1.5 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 egg
- 2 ounces grated cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- oil for frying
- Mix together the mashed potatoes, egg and cheese.
- Put breadcrumbs into a medium bowl. Using an ice cream scoop or quarter-cup measure or a big spoon, scoop mashed potatoes into crumbs, turn gently to coat. Set aside on a plate until ready to fry
- Heat a cast-iron or non-stick skillet and pour in a thin layer of oil. When the oil is hot, add the cakes to the skillet and fry, flipping once, until nicely browned on both sides, about 3-4 minutes a side.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mashed Potatoes
Express your gratitude for sunshine.
Good day, sunshine.
The sun is out: Are you?
It's Snack Time
Gifts for Mother's Day
12 Recipes for a Stress-Free Week of Cooking