Author Notes: I love making mashed sweet potatoes, and the parsnips add a nice bit of spiciness. I cube and roast everything in the oven first to add an extra layer of earthiness, and the crunchy pecan topping offers a fabulous contrast in texture to the creamy mash. Note: I use soy milk because I am lactose intolerant, but you could also use real milk or cream. - RellaBellaK
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 + 1/2 pound sweet potatoes
- 1 pound parsnips
- 1 tablespoon honey
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup plain soy milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quick-cook oats
- 1/2 cup raw pecan pieces
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- Peel sweet potatoes and parsnips and cut into large chunks, place in large baking pan, and drizzle with oil.
- Bake in 400 degree oven 35 minutes covered, 15 minutes uncovered until veggies are tender.
- Place sweet potato & parsnip chunks in a large bowl and blend until very smooth (I like to use an immersion blender, but you could also do this in a food processor).
- Stir in soy milk, honey, lemon, cinnamon and salt. Pour sweet potato mixture into 9x13 inch greased baking pan.
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over mash. Return to oven and bake 10-15 minutes until topping is crispy and mash is slightly browned.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mashed Potatoes