If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: As the title suggests, a slow roast in the oven does all the work to produce this rich, comforting soup. While I love to finish it with a bit of cream, you can omit it all together to create a healthier, vegan version for an equally delicious meal. - Jennifer Perillo
- One 28-ounce can of whole, peeled tomatoes (I use San Marzano)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (about 2 teaspoons worth)
- 1 1/2 cups reserved tomato juice (see directions)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Croutons, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 300ºF. Line a baking sheet with heavy duty foil; set aside.
- Drain tomatoes, saving the juices for preparing the soup (you should have about 1 1/2 cups reserved). Slice the tomatoes in half and place cut-side up on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and brown sugar. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in the preheated oven for one hour. Remove tray from oven and let cool 10 minutes.
- Transfer cooled tomatoes to the bowl of your blender. Add the vegetable stock and blend until smooth. Pour soup into a 2-quart pot and heat until warmed, but not boiling. Stir in the cream and cook for one more minute. Serve garnished with croutons.
Not Your Average (Garlic Cheddar) Biscuit
Yes, you need another biscuit recipe.
Why You Need Yet Another Biscuit Recipe.
Fresh beer, anywhere.
9 Ways to Celebrate the Royal Baby
What to Do With Marjoram
Go play outside!