If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The creamy coleslaw by which to judge all others -- perfect for a barbecue, picnic, or reunion. —thirschfeld
- 1 medium-sized head of cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, trimmed and peeled
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (or Vegenaise or Miracle Whip)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste (I like lots)
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon chives, minced
- Carefully cut the cabbage in half. Remove the core with a knife, then cut the cabbage into pieces small enough to fit into the tube of your food processor. If you are doing this by hand, it is still a good idea to cut the cabbage into manageable pieces.
- Grate the cabbage as finely as you can with a food processor, grater, or by hand, then do the same with the carrots.
- Combine the carrots and cabbage in a strainer or colander and season them with the salt. Toss to combine. Place the strainer in a bowl or leave it in the sink to drain for an hour.
- After about an hour, squeeze the cabbage by hand or by twisting it in a clean dish towel to remove as much moisture as you can.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and apple cider vinegar. Whisk them together until the sugar has dissolved. Add the mayonnaise (or Vegenaise or Miracle Whip) along with the celery seed, chives, and black pepper. Whisk the dressing again. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your preference.
- Squeeze the cabbage mixture one more time. Add it to the dressing and mix until the dressing is evenly distributed throughout the cabbage. Serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.