Author Notes: I love New England apple pie with sharp cheddar cheese melted on top ... I was thinking about porridge and thinking about pie and I says to myself - SELF, why not both? And so here it is! - aargersi
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1/2 cup grated extra sharp Vermont cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup (preferable grade B)
- a drizzle of cream
- Bring the cider to a boil and stir in the oats and the Chinese 5 spice. Reduce the heat and simmer.
- While the oats are simmering - peel, core and dice the apple. After about 15 minutes, stir the apple into the oats.
- Simmer and stir until the oats are done, about a half an hour total. Serve into two bowls and top each with a tbs. of maple syrup and 1/4 C of the cheese. You might pop it in the microwave for just a few seconds to help the cheese melt.
- drizzle a bit of cream over and enjoy!!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Porridge