If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This soup is the perfect opportunity to take advantage of the abundance of fresh vegetables that are in season right now. The recipe is simple, healthy and superbly delicious. Add a dollop of thyme chard pesto and even chopped basil for a perfect summer dinner. —kathleen stafford
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients for the Roasted Vegetable Soup
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in 1/4 inch half moons
- 1/2 pound carrots, chopped in big chunks
- 1 medium summer squash, sliced in 1/4 half moons
- 6 medium tomatoes, sliced in 1/4 inch half moons
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced in 1/4 inch half moons
- 1 medium yellow or red pepper, cut into long strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place all the vegetables (except the tomatoes) in a large bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper until well coated. Spread vegetables and the tomatoes on two or three baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Roast about 40 minutes until vegetables start to turn brown and lose their moisture. Halfway through roasting time turn the vegetables and rotate the pans for even cooking.
- Remove vegetables and in batches puree in food processor adding water ¼ cup at a time and puree to desired consistency. Either chunky or smooth, your choice.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Warm over medium heat if needed. Add a dollop of thyme chard pesto. Optional: fresh chopped basil
Thyme Chard Pesto
- 3 cups chard or kale
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup roasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a small pan over medium heat add walnuts with a pinch of salt and roast about 5 - 6 minutes until just turning brown. Do not walk away since nuts burn quickly.
- Add walnuts and garlic to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground.
- Add chard and thyme and puree. With motor running add olive oil in a steady stream. Stop processor and add Parmesan cheese and pulse until mixed in. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Hot dogs made better.
Your poolside essentials.
Is your cilantro contaminated?