If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Miso might seem like a strange addition to porridge, but it actually makes sense on a lot of levels. For one thing, miso soup is often eaten for breakfast in Japan. For another, letting the miso sit in the oats overnight pre-digests some of their starch, making them taste sweeter. The subtle miso flavor brings oats to a whole new level of comfort food. - linzarella
Food52 Review: With just the right balance of savory and sweet, linzarella's miso-infused oatmeal is both comfortingly familiar and completely unconventional. The earthy tang of the miso is a surprising complement to the hearty steel cut oats; the flavors are rounded out with a large knob of butter and a spoonful of honey. The technique couldn't be easier: you simmer the oats briefly in water, add the miso and go to bed. In the morning, you just reheat and add the butter and honey. This porridge is somewhat loose -- if you prefer it less so, simmer it for a few minutes longer either before you add the miso, or while you're reheating it. - A&M - The Editors
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups water
- 1-2 tablespoons sweet white miso paste
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 1 handful toasted walnuts, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, combine the oats and the water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes, then turn off the heat and cover the pot.
- When they are cool enough to hold your finger in the pot for 10 seconds, spoon 1/4 cup of oats into a small bowl. Add the miso to the bowl and stir well to combine. Pour the miso-oat mixture back into the saucepan and stir to combine. Leave overnight.
- In the morning, heat the oats gently until steaming but not boiling. Stir in honey, butter, and walnuts before serving.
- Your Best Porridge Contest Finalist!
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.