Author Notes: My mother used to make this all the time when I was younger & I really disliked it... but tastes change as one grows up. Inspiration hit while having the insanely delicious breakfast at the Four Seasons in Maui; they had an incredibly creamy bircher muesli (which translates to “mushy oatmeal” in German; I know that doesn’t sound too appealing) – so here is my healthier but just as delicious version! Just be patient it requires to soak overnight in the fridge. - Culinista Annouchka - Culinista Annouchka
Food52 Review: Toasting the oats and flaxseed in this recipe for muesli really sets it apart from other variations -- the toasted oats give the muesli a hearty and nutty flavor, to which the almond milk is a perfect addition. The grated apple and pear blend in seamlessly and give the muesli a little sweetness. I imagine the results would be good with a fruit-flavored yogurt as well, if you didn't have plain yogurt on hand. All in all, a delicious, healthy, and convenient breakfast recipe that definitely has a permanent spot on my breakfast recipe list. - VanessaS - VanessaS
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 pear, skin left on, grated
- 1 apple, skin left on, grated
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts & almonds
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Put oats & flax seeds on a parchment-lined baking sheet and toast the oats for 7 to 10 minutes, until fragrant. Take out of the oven and place in a bowl with cinnamon & nutmeg, add the almond milk & apple juice, mix to combine and refrigerate overnight so the oats can soak up the liquids.
- Take the oat mixture out the fridge and add the grated pear, apple, yogurt & toasted nuts. Mix well. Spoon muesli into bowls and top with maple syrup and blueberries.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Porridge