Author Notes: This is a twist on my ex-boyfriend's mother's recipe which I couldn't help but think I could make so much better, and I did. This is something I make for Thanksgiving and even the children who don't like mushrooms love it. - ADRIENE
Food52 Review: Adriene's stuffed mushrooms are the kind of coveted hors d'oeuvres that go all too fast at a party -- so it's a good thing this recipe makes enough for a big crowd. The splash of balsamic that cloaks the mushrooms prior to their first go-round in the oven infuses them with a touch of sweetness and acidity that acts as a wonderful counterpoint to the savory sausage-laced cream cheese stuffing. We chose an aged Asiago and, though it didn't melt as well as a fresh one would, we loved the earthy, piquant accent it added to these rich, addictive little 'shrooms. - A&M
- 5 PINTS OF BUTTOM MUSHROOMS
- 4 ITALIAN SAUSAGE LINKS
- 8 ounces CREAM CHEESE (room temperature)
- 2 YELLOW ONIONS MINCED
- 5 GARLIC CLOVES MINCED
- 5 ounces ASIAGO CHEESE SHREDDED
- 7 tablespoons OLIVE OIL
- 3 tablespoons BALSAMIC VINEGAR
- SALT & PEPPER
- Wipe mushrooms clean with a damp cloth and pull out the stems and discard. Toss the cleaned de-stemmed mushrooms with 5 tbs of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan and bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Set aside and cool.
- Slit the Italian sausage and remove casing. Crumble in a heated pan and saute until golden brown. Break up into small pieces while it is cooking. Set aside and cool.
- Add the remaining 2 tbs of olive oil in a saute pan and add the onions. Cook until dark and caramelized, about 15-20 minutes. Then add in the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Now add the cooked sausage, onions and garlic, cream cheese, salt & pepper, and 3 oz of shredded Asiago cheese to a bowl and mix well with your hands. Break apart any large pieces of sausage.
- Line up your mushrooms in a greased baking dish with the core side facing up. Stuff each mushroom with a generous portion of the creamy sausage mixture. Top the mushrooms with the remaining Asiago cheese.
- Now put the baking dish in a pre-heated oven at 375 degress for roughly 45 minutes or until the cheese on top is golden brown. (This dish can be made up to 3 days ahead of time and put in the cooler unitl you are ready to put in the oven.)
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!