If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Like many of us, I learned not only to cook, but to really love and appreciate good food, at my mother's side. Raised in Oklahoma, by a mother who never cooked, she took it upon herself to learn and practiced with raising and feeding three boys. She and my dad spent mom's last few summers at their house on Maryland's Eastern Shore, where she delighted in the bounty of fresh Maryland crabmeat. She did not take kindly to the subpar crabcakes that were foisted upon diners... overstuffed with bread filling and whatnot... As in most everything she did, she believed that simplicity stood out. And in her mind, a crabcake should explode with chunks of crab... and the snap of horseradish... and who can argue with that? - saenyc —saenyc
Food52 Review: This is a crab cake in its purest form -- fresh lump meat adorned with little more than crushed saltine crackers, mayonnaise and Tabasco. These have a nice, crisp crust and spicy bite from crab's classic partner, Old Bay. They are great spritzed with lemon but would also work well with a homemade tartar sauce. - Emily —The Editors
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons mayonaisse
- 4 teaspoons drained horseradish
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay (generous)
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- a dash (or 4) of Tabasco
- 2 pounds lump or backfin crabmeat (well-picked for shell)
- 1/2 cup crushed Saltine crackers
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl combine egg, mayo, horseradish, mustard, salt & pepper, Old Bay, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco.
- Toss mixture gently with crab and saltines.
- Form the mixture into ¾ inch patties.
- Refrigerate for an hour, if possible.
- Heat oil and butter until foam subsides.
- Saute cakes 6-8 minutes a side, until golden. Drain on paper towel.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Horseradish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Recipe or Technique Your Mother Taught You
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.