If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In my home state of New Mexico we make atole with toasted blue corn meal and cow or goats milk. In other parts of México it's made with masa or masa harina and milk, flavored with nuts, berries, tropical fruits or chocolate. My version of atole is flavored with toasted almonds, anise seed and cinnamon and topped with slivered almonds, cinnamon and a splash of cold heavy cream for contrast. It was a perfect breakfast for a snowy day in nyc. * P.S. This tastes nothing like grits.... —gabrielaskitchen
- 3/4 cup masa harina
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup almond meal or ground almonds
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup piloncillo (or 1/2 cup brown sugar + 1 TBs. molasses)
- 2 pinches anise seed (ground between your fingers as you sprinkle)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- + toasted sliverd almonds and heavy cream to garnish
- Toast the almond meal or ground almonds in a heavy bottom pan until golden brown (3 minutes on medium). Be careful not to burn, you'll know they're ready when you begin to smell a toasty nutty fragrance. Set aside.
- Now make the cornmeal base. Begin by pouring water, cups milk and toasted almond meal into a blender. Add masa harina 2 tablespoons at a time blending thoroughly between each addition until you've added one cup in total.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 cups milk, cinnamon, anise and (or brown sugar ) in a heavy bottom pot. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the cornmeal base to the milk base whisking vigorously until creamy, removing any lumps.
- Simmer on low heat. Whisking frequently until atole has thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve in mugs topped with toasted slivered almonds, ground cinnamon and a tablespoon of heavy cream in each mug.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Porridge
The Best Thing since Sliced Bread
Crispy cheese has our hearts
We are in love—with this toast.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
Recipe of the Day
It's in the bag.