If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I ate a version of this lentil soup at a friend's home. She told me she had tweaked the ingredients in the soup after eating it at another friend's home. I, too, adjusted it when I prepared it. The soup is colorful, rich in flavor, satisfying, and the product of many friends (and family) interpretations. It is, quite simply, a wonderful addition to one's repertoire and a reminder of how friends (and family) contribute to making a recipe special. - Leslie_
- 2-4 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 cup zucchini, peeled and finely diced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro stems, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup canned tomatoes with their juice, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1-2 pinches chile powder
- 1 cup dried red lentils, well rinsed
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 4-5 chopped scallions
- Optional: dollop of Greek yogurt
- Melt/heat butter and/or olive oil, add onion and stir.
- Add celery, carrots, zucchini, cilantro, garlic and sprinkle with salt, turmeric, cumin and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, lentils and chicken stock (you may need to add more as the soup cooks). Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer partially covered for 20-30 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Taste for salt and add the pepper and chili powder. Add lemon juice.
- Garnish with lightly sauteed chopped scallions.
- Optional: My daughter recommends a dollop of Greek yogurt to "cool the heat".
Not Your Average (Garlic Cheddar) Biscuit
Yes, you need another biscuit recipe.
Why You Need Yet Another Biscuit Recipe.
Fresh beer, anywhere.
9 Ways to Celebrate the Royal Baby
What to Do With Marjoram
Go play outside!