If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Here at my house, Pepperidge Farm Goldfish used to be the snack we always had on hand. Yet making cheese crackers is so easy and less costly, why buy processed food? You can find infinite numbers of recipes to make elaborate crackers, but for me the simplest of ingredients yields very satisfying results. Cut them thin and quarter-coin size so you can keep on munching throughout the movie. - Amber Olson
Makes : depends on you, each dough could yield 48 or more pieces
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature (one stick for each type of cracker)
- 6 ounces medium cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 ounces dry type goat cheese, crumbled
- 8 ounces bleu cheese, crumbled
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, divided into 1/4 cup increments
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached flour, divided into 3/4 cup increments
- 3 tablespoons milk, divided into 1 TB increments
- 2-3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Chipotle Powder
- Fine grain sea salt
- 1/4 cup finely diced dried figs
- 1/8 cup finely diced kalamata olives, patted dry
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- To make the cheddar crackers: combine one stick of the butter with the cheddar and 1/4 cup whole wheat and 3/4 cup all purpose flour in a food processor for a few seconds; scrape the sides, add a TB of milk and process to form a smooth dough, about a minute or so. Turn out onto plastic wrap and form into logs about 1" in diameter. Wrap up tightly and refrigerate.
- To make the goat cheese crackers: in the same bowl of the food processor, combine another 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 3/4 cup all purpose flour, another stick of butter and the goat cheese; process briefly to combine. Scrape the sides and add 1 TB milk, the figs and the olives and process to form a smooth dough, about a minute or so. Turn out onto some plastic wrap and form into logs about 1" in diameter. Wrap tightly and refrigerate.
- To make the bleu cheese crackers: in a clean bowl of the food processor, combine the last of the two flours, the last stick of butter and the bleu cheese; process briefly to combine. Add the last of the milk and briefly process. Scrape the sides, add the chopped walnuts and process to form a smooth dough, about a minute or so. Turn out onto some plastic wrap and form into logs about 1" in diameter. Wrap tightly and refrigerate.
- For each cracker type: in batches, cut all logs into coin shapes about 1/4 thick and place on cold ungreased cookie sheets. Prick with a fork and brush with the egg white. (For the cheddar crackers, lightly sprinkle some of the coins with chipotle powder, leaving some plain.) Sprinkle all the brushed coins with a bit of sea salt.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 12-15 minutes or until lightly brown. Know your oven, these can over bake quickly, the goal is crisp but tender, not hard.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Movie Snack
Why the Simplest Recipes Are Still Worthwhile
Cheer up with chickpeas.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad
The sun is out: Are you?
It's Snack Time
Gifts for Mother's Day
Good day, sunshine.