If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This porridge tastes just like an oatmeal raisin cookie, only it's a much healthier way to start your day. Since steel cut oats take 30 minutes to cook, I usually make this on a Sunday and reheat the leftovers throughout the week. - dana_bate
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Agave nectar (or honey or maple syrup) to taste
- Pour the water and milk into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Slowly pour the oats into the simmering liquid, stirring to distribute the oats. Add the salt, cinnamon stick, raisins and coconut and stir again.
- When the porridge begins to thicken slightly (anywhere from 1-5 minutes), turn the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the oats are tender but chewy and the liquid is absorbed. Remove cinnamon stick and discard.
- Ladle porridge into bowls and serve with a hefty drizzle of agave nectar or other sweetener to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Porridge
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Lettuce love vegetables.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.