Author Notes: This porridge tastes just like an oatmeal raisin cookie, only it's a much healthier way to start your day. Since steel cut oats take 30 minutes to cook, I usually make this on a Sunday and reheat the leftovers throughout the week. - dana_bate
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Agave nectar (or honey or maple syrup) to taste
- Pour the water and milk into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Slowly pour the oats into the simmering liquid, stirring to distribute the oats. Add the salt, cinnamon stick, raisins and coconut and stir again.
- When the porridge begins to thicken slightly (anywhere from 1-5 minutes), turn the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the oats are tender but chewy and the liquid is absorbed. Remove cinnamon stick and discard.
- Ladle porridge into bowls and serve with a hefty drizzle of agave nectar or other sweetener to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Porridge