If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a recipe that was created to make oatmeal that could be served either as part of a /Sunday brunch or to be eaten at will for weekday breakfasts. It keeps well so if any is left after brunch it can sliced and reheated. It certainly will elevate your daily oatmeal to new heights! - sticksnscones - sticksnscones
Food52 Review: This is now my favorite way to eat oatmeal. The recipe is a wonderful blend of warming spices and comes together so easily. It's also amazingly versatile. I ate it hot from the oven for dessert, toasted with a little jam for breakfast, and, as sticksnscones suggests, warmed in a pool of milk for breakfast. It feels substantial and filling without being heavy or leaden. I could see adding chopped nuts, different fruits, and different spices. It is a wonderful treat for a winter breakfast, and I highly recommend it as an Editors' Pick. – drbabs - The Editors
- 3 cups Old fashioned rolled oats
- 2/3 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk(lowfat or whole)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Butter a 5 X 8 Pyrex loaf pan
- Melt butter- set aside to cool a bit
- In a large bowl mix together the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom and salt.
- In a second bowl mix together the applesauce, vanilla and eggs. Slowly whisk in the milk and then gradually whisk in the butter.
- Add the wet mixture to the oat mixture until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the raisins or other dried fruit.
- Spread into the pyrex loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve in slices in a bowl and surround with a moat of fresh milk
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Porridge
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.