Author Notes: A little bacon would be a great addition, otherwise it is a very filling vegetarian soup. Also, one of the potatoes can be replaced with an equal amount of winter squash (delicata, acorn, butternut, etc.). - ChefDJen
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, cut in half, then sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2-3 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- pickled peppers (optional)
- Warmed about a teaspoon of olive oil in a 3-quart pot. Add the onion, leeks and a sprinkle of salt and cook until they are softened and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds longer.
- Sprinkle on the mustard powder and flour. Stir for a minute or two to make a roux.
- Whisk in the broth, then add the potatoes and smoked paprika. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Stir in the cream and check for seasoning. Enjoy as is, or top with a few pickled peppers.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Onion or Garlic Soup