Author Notes: This sauce was invented one evening when I was just too lazy to make the dinner I had planned. Instead, I looked at a tray of tomatoes I'd just roasted and decided to make a sauce reminiscent of Marcella Hazan's fabulous Tomato Sauce #3. I've tested it frozen and reheated and all the freshly made flavors hold up. - MrsWheelbarrow
- 2 pounds fresh roma or other paste tomatoes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1 medium onion, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt & pepper
- shaved parmesian
- torn basil leaves
- Oven roast tomatoes: preheat oven to 250
- Slice tomatoes in half lengthwise and place on foil covered baking sheet, skin side down.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with herbes de provence, salt & pepper. Place in oven for 3 hours.
- Remove from oven and run tomatoes and any cooking juices through a food mill to remove skins and seeds.
- Put tomato sauce in a medium saucepan, add halved onion and butter. Cook at a slow simmer for 25 minutes. Stir well and serve over pasta with shaved parmesian and a sprinkle of fresh basil.