If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This sauce was invented one evening when I was just too lazy to make the dinner I had planned. Instead, I looked at a tray of tomatoes I'd just roasted and decided to make a sauce reminiscent of Marcella Hazan's fabulous Tomato Sauce #3. I've tested it frozen and reheated and all the freshly made flavors hold up. - MrsWheelbarrow
- 2 pounds fresh roma or other paste tomatoes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1 medium onion, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt & pepper
- shaved parmesian
- torn basil leaves
- Oven roast tomatoes: preheat oven to 250
- Slice tomatoes in half lengthwise and place on foil covered baking sheet, skin side down.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with herbes de provence, salt & pepper. Place in oven for 3 hours.
- Remove from oven and run tomatoes and any cooking juices through a food mill to remove skins and seeds.
- Put tomato sauce in a medium saucepan, add halved onion and butter. Cook at a slow simmer for 25 minutes. Stir well and serve over pasta with shaved parmesian and a sprinkle of fresh basil.