If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Every summer I can several quarts of this spicy drink. It's absolutely delicious icy cold (usually right from the mason jar in the fridge,) but one of my friends tells me that each jar, when opened, calls out "I want to be a Bloody Mary." Most people don't bother canning any more, and tomato products are tricky, so I've reduced the recipe to make 2 quarts - enough to serve a group at brunch. - MrsWheelbarrow
Serves 2 quarts
- 5 pounds assorted tomatoes, washed well, quartered, all stem ends and blemishes removed
- 1 medium onion, rough chopped
- 1 sweet pepper - I like Cubanelles, banana peppers, or Jimmy Nardellos (If you can find them)
- 1 handful spinach leaves, washed & stemmed (can substitute kale or chard)
- 1 jalapeno, including seeds & stems (can substitute more or hotter peppers, according to taste)
- 2 carrots, rough chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- In a non-reactive large stockpot, add tomatoes and start cooking as you chop, crushing with a large spoon or potato masher as you go. Keep cooking at a slow simmer as you complete the next steps.
- Add onion, pepper, spinach, jalapeno and carrots to the blender and blend to a puree. Add in some of the tomato liquid if it gets too thick to blend. Add to the tomatoes. Add celery seed.
- Simmer, covered, 90 minutes.
- Pour through a food mill to remove skins and seeds. Add lemon juice and salt and pour into a two quart pitcher or other container. Cover tightly.
- Chill well for at least one day.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Tomato Recipe
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends.