If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Bread pudding is the ultimate comfort food for me. I don't like desserts that are too sweet, so I use dark chocolate here and only a moderate amount of sugar. This is not a dessert for children -- the bourbon definitely adds a kick! There are only a handful of ingredients, so I try to use the best quality possible: local farm fresh eggs, the best chocolate I can afford, and a really good loaf of French bread. My experience has taught me that you can cut corners on the bourbon. My favorite to use is Rebel Yell. - student epicure —student epicure
Food52 Review: Amply boozy yet not too sweet, we liked student epicure's unabashed take on the bread pudding. The dessert takes about 5 minutes to put together (not counting 45 minutes of soaking, during which time you can assemble the rest of your meal). And it calls for ingredients that you probably have lying around the house (if you don't have bourbon -- why don't you! -- you can use rum). We see this as the perfect impromptu dinner party dessert. - A&M —The Editors
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 8 ounces 72% dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 cups day-old French bread cubes (packed)
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk together milk, eggs, and bourbon. In a large bowl, combine the liquids with the chocolate, bread cubes, and sugar. Toss to coat and set aside to soak for about 45 minutes. Gently stir once or twice while soaking.
- Pour mixture into a 1.5 quart baking dish. Bake for about 40 minutes or until the custard has set and the top of the pudding is slightly crispy (be careful not to overcook). Serve warm or at warm temperature.
- Your Best Bread Pudding (Sweet, not Savory) Contest Finalist!
These Figs are Feeling a Little Tart
Learn to love fruit with chocolate
Learning to love fruit with chocolate.
The best donuts—ever.
We've got the summer blues.
How we do a Genius dinner party for 30.
A better basket.