If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I got my box from a farm CSA and found a lot of leeks in it. It's always a little like Christmas when the box shows up at my door because I never really know what will be in it that I can have some fun with. I decided to make a twist on the more traditional leek-potato soup and substitute cauliflower for the potato. There's a little dijon mustard to give it a bit of a tang and coarsely ground pepper, but the rest is just a great combination of leeks and cauliflower. —TheWimpyVegetarian
- 6 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, preferably lemon thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small head of cauliflower, sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- salt to taste
- juice from 1 lemon slice if needed (just a squeeze)
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Melt the butter in a large saute pan. Add the leeks, salt and thyme and slowly cook over medium heat until the leeks are very soft - about 45 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, cauliflower slices, mustard and pepper. Simmer over medium heat until the cauliflower is very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Process until smooth in a food processor and pour the puree into a pot. Reheat and add the milk. Adjust the seasoning and add a squeeze of lemon juice if needed. Serve as is or with minced chives and crouton on top.
- To make the croutons, I tore pieces of bread from a fresh loaf, tossed them in enough olive oil and minced garlic to lightly coat them and roasted them in a 400F oven until crispy - about 15 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Onion or Garlic Soup
A Money-Saving Kitchen
Yes, it is possible! Let's get organized
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Recipe of the Day
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Take care of your cutting boards.
Get your shine on.