If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sometimes, in spite of your best efforts, your considerable time commitment and, yes, even a little bit of your love added in, your homemade broth is still just a little bit bland. So when the broth has to be relegated to the backdrop, these light, flavourful dumplings are there to take center stage. I suggest that you poach the dumplings in a separate pot of simmering broth (apart from the broth you are going to serve, that is) in case one or two of the dumplings break apart in the process and cloud the broth. - cheese1227
Serves enough dumplings for 4-6 bowls of soup
- 8 ounces Low fat ricotta cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 cup fine fresh white bread crumbs
- 3 ounces finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 12 cups good quality, flavorful chicken broth
- Mix the first seven ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Take teaspoonfuls of the mixture and make small balls (no larger than a small cherry tomato). And then, flatten the balls a bit make a slight indent with your thumb in each one. This shape allows the dumplings to cook through better. Let these set in the fridge on a plate for at least a half hour.
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a rolling boil and turn the heat down to a heavy simmer. Gently place half of the dumplings in the pot and keep the stock simmering as the dumplings cook. The dumplings will float to the top of the broth and get larger by about 50% when they are done. This takes between 4-6 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the dumplings from the pot and keep them warm while you poach the other half of the dumplings.
- When the second batch is done, gently place the dumplings on top of bowls of piping hot broth. Serve immediately.
And other glimpses into our office life.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Refined at Age Five
That was a close shave.