Author Notes: OK my original intention was to name this Red Bread. I thought I would make a sweet bread with beets and it would be earthy and solid and, well, RED. Instead this bread came out a spiced color, and the texture is light and almost cake like ... I am completely mystified by it, but I can say it's delicious! Enjoying it with a cup of lemon ginger tea while I type! - aargersi
- 1 stick margarine or 1/2 c shortening. I have tried this with butter and it just didn't work, maybe that's just me?
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large red beet
- 1/2 cup chopped candied ginger
- Get out the margarine and the eggs and let them come to room temp. Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a pyrex loaf pan with baking no-stick.
- Peel the beet and shred it - this is easiest with the grater plate in your food precessor of you have one. This should yield about 2 cups of shredded beet.
- Beat the margarine and sugar together until very smooth. Add the eggs and beat those until it is smooth again, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Switch your speed to low and mix in the dry ingredients until the batter is smooth and uniform in texture.
- Slowly mix in the ginger and the beet until it's evenly distributed and RED.
- Scrape the batter into the loaf pan and bake for an hour, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for a few minutes then turn it out of the pan.
- Slice the bread, wonder where the RED went, shrug your shoulders, and enjoy with tea, or coffee, or whatever you like!!!!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beets