If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Aviyal is a dish that has a unique place in a typical Kerala Cuisine as well as in Tamil cuisine. It is a thick mixture of vegetables, curd and coconut, seasoned with coconut oil and curry leaves. Aviyal is considered an essential part of the Sadhya.(rice and curry served in banana leaf)
Vegetables commonly used in aviyal are yam, plantain, pumpkin, carrots, beans, brinjal and avarai. Some people prefer to substitute raw mango or tamarind pulp for the curd. This dish can be made into a gravy and eaten with rice or be made into a semi-solid side dish. The word "aviyal" is also used to denote an assortment or a mixture—this sense being derived from the way the dish is made. - pauljoseph
- 2 cups Mixed vegetables(Carrot, beans, cucumber, green banana, onion, etc)
- 1 piece Green chilli
- 1/2 cup Coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Coconut oil
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons Grated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- (Grind coconut and cumin together)
- Salt to taste
- Clean and cut vegetables into julienne
- In a clay pot cook each vegetable separately , depending on its cooking time
- .Meanwhile, grind the coconut and keep aside.
- nto the cooked vegetables add salt, coconut oil, stir very lightly, taking care not to break up any pieces.
- Add the coconut milk, finally add the coconut paste and the curry leaves , cover immediately..