Author Notes: Barbados has the Dark and Stormy and now (thanks to me) Jamaica has the Red Storm. You may read the entire story of how I came up with this unusual cocktail here: http://www.sippitysup.com/jamaican-red-storm-beet-infused-cocktail - Sippity Sup (Greg Henry)
Jamaican Red Storm
- 2 ounces beet infused rum (recipe follows)
- 3 ounces ginger beer
- 1 ounce dark rum, such as Meyers
- 1 beet stem trimmed of all leaves and frozen
Beet Infused Rum
- 3 small raw red beets (trimmed, peeled, and cut into quarters)
- 1 (750ml) bottle light rum
- Jamaican Red Storm: Combine the beet infused rum, and ginger beer in a tall glass full of ice cubes. Using the back of a spoon float dark rum on top and stir gently. Garnish with a frozen beet stem.
- Beet-Infused Rum: Put the beets in a pitcher or glass jar large enough to hold the beets and the rum. Pour the rum over the beets and cover the container with a lid or plastic wrap. Store the rum in a cool dark place, swirling the container at least once a day. After 3 days discard the beets, using a slotted spoon. Cover the rum tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to six months.