If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have a long history with beets. Well, I like them. My coniving sister would tell me back when I was cooking family holiday meals that my mother hated beets---actually it was my sister who hated beets, not Mom so I'd put them on the table just to spite her. But I always had this thing in my head that some people just refuse to like beets unless they come from some Eastern European background. Once on a Chicago visit, I cooked for friends in return for a guest room, I prepared dinner. I had the beet idea in my head but there was that lingering doubt. But my friend Erich said, "I love beets" so here's what we did. —pierino
- 2 pounds red beets (or a mix of red and yellow)
- 1 horseradish root
- juice of one lemon
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 425?. Trim the tops from the beets but save them. Wash the beets under running water.
- Wrap the beets in aluminum foil packets and place in the oven. Roast for just over one hour. Test for doneness with a fork.
- Let the packages rest and when cool enough to handle, open up and dye your hands red by peeling the beets. Slice and arrange on a platter. Drizzle with squeezed lemon and dribble some olive oil over everything. Season with salt and pepper.
- Peel your horseradish root (you can do this while the beets are resting in their package). Using your favorite grater, box or Microplane, grate a generous amount of horseradish over everything.
- Pretty damn easy, right? And you will wash and saute those beet greens in butter or I won't respect you in the morning.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beets
Go Greek (Yogurt)
The secret to lighter, tangier whipped cream
Yogurt whipped cream: your new go-to.
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Orange you sweet.