Author Notes: This is not so much a recipe really, more of an attempt to recreate a memory and distill the flavours of late summer into one dish by throwing together the most aromatic, fresh, ripe ingredients I could find. Watermelon feta salad is a common favourite but is sublime with the sweetness of the beetroot and orange dressing cutting through the saltiness of the feta. - Hadyourtea?
- 2 handfuls rocket
- 1 extra ripe galia melon
- 1 small sweet watermelon
- 14 ounces feta cheese
- 4 ounces pumpkin seeds
- 4 ounces black olives, chopped finely
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of one blood oranges
- 1 beet
- 1 handful finely chopped mint
- Scatter the rocket over a large (preferably white) platter.
- Chop both melons into equally sized cubes and throw artfully on top.
- Crumble the feta over the top.
- Then toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry pan till they are just turning golden brown, allow to cool then throw on top of the salad.
- Juice the beet in a juicer. (or if you don't have one, throw some thinly sliced beets over the salad).
- Mix the olive oil with the orange juice, beet juice, chopped olives and mint and drizzle over the whole salad.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Blood Oranges, Feta and Mint