If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Skip the ketchup and add some of this zingy tomato relish to your next burger. —Jennifer Perillo
Makes 1 1/2 pints
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped (see note in step 3)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
- 10 black peppercorns
- 6 whole basil leaves
- Evenly divide tomatoes among glass jars; set aside.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for basil, to a 2-quart pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer until liquid slightly thickens, about 5 minutes. Pour an even amount of liquid over the tomatoes in each jar, tuck 2 basil leaves in with a chopstick, cover and let cool before storing in refrigerator for up to one month, or process in a hot-water canning bath for 15 minutes for long term storage.
- Note: To peel the tomatoes, cut an "x" on the underside of the tomato (also known as scoring) and then immerse them in a pot of boiling water for 30 to 45 seconds, until the skins slightly wrinkle. Remove and plunge into cold water to stop cooking process. Slip the skins off and place the flesh in a food processor. Pulse 2 to 3 times, until coarsely chopped.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Preserves
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Tomato Recipe
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.