Author Notes: I came up with these in a flight of fancy one day a year or so ago, and promptly forgot about them until sorting through recipes and finding my notes. I like them because they're different. - Kayb
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup panko or regular breadcrumbs, or cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup Pad Thai or hoisin sauce
- Saute shallot in olive oil until soft. Add garlic, saute until fragrant. Set aside.
- Combine everything except last two ingredients. mix well with hands and shape into four individual loaves, and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle heavily with sesame seeds, pressing lightly to make them adhere.
- Bake at 400 for 10 minutes; glaze with Pad Thai or hoisin. Lower heat to 325 and bake for 30 minutes more, glazing periodically with sauce.
- Serve on a bed of bok choy with extra sauce and fried rice, or on noodles with Chinese sauteed veggies.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatloaf