If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have a feeling I may have given this one away slightly with the title - I couldn't think of anything snappier - ah well. I love watercress as a salad leaf - it's got a delicious peppery flavor. Just the other day I was whinging to my husband about how it's hard to find in US supermarkets (my perennial moan always starts with "in the UK you can get ... *insert any ingredient / service / some superior british product* ... everywhere" - cue surreptitious eye rolling from my American husband).
Anyway, I've just discovered I was totally wrong on this particular one, I was just looking in the wrong section, watercress is kept in the fresh herbs section, not the salad section like it is in the UK.
I know, I know, the ingredients are very far from seasonal - but I'm officially fed up of root veggies - roll on spring please! - cooklynveg
Serves 2 as main, 4 as side
For the salad
- 2 cups watercress, washed and snipped of long stems
- 1 carrot, washed, peeled and grated (or finely sliced with a peeler as I did here)
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 handful of good, marinated black olives
- a little grated sharp cheddar to garnish
for the dressing
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- a little honey
- sea salt and black pepper
- Assembling this salad is a cinch, just put all the salad ingredients together in a bowl, mix the dressing ingredients together, then add to the salad. Then add the grated cheddar to garnish