Author Notes: I love this recipe because it gives you the comfort of a rustic creamy potato soup, but also has the flavor of caramelized fennel and onions which give it such depth. Great on a cold winter day, or really any day for that matter! - ADRIENE
- 3 pounds potatoes (peeled and cut in half moon thin slices)
- 2 fennel bulbs (cleaned, cored, and cut in small dice)
- 2 yellow onions (small dice)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme (minced)
- salt & pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Start by pouring the olive oil in a large pot. Once it is hot add in the onions with the sugar and cook for 15 minutes until they are starting to caramelize.
- Now add in the fennel and cook for another 15 or so minutes until everything has a light-medium golden color. Now add in the minced garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Deglaze with the white wine, cook for a couple minutes. Scrape anything up that might be on the bottom of the pan.
- Now add the potatoes and chicken stock. Bring it up to a boil and then turn it down to a simmer and cover loosely with a lid. Season with salt and pepper throughout cooking process. Cook for about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. Until the potatoes are falling apart.
- Now add in the heavy cream and cook for another 15 minutes. Adjust the seasoning and finish with the fresh thyme.