Author Notes: My husband grew up keeping kosher so he doesn't usually like to eat meat dishes with cheese. He makes an exception for chicken parmesan. Here's my interpretation--perfect for when cherry tomatoes and fresh basil are in season.e feta, but does like mozzarella, so I decided to try a similar version with mozzarella cheese, basil and tomatoes. - drbabs
- 3 tablespoons canola or grapeseed oil
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, butterflied
- 4 thin slices fresh mozzarella
- 4 large basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 shallots, minced
- 16 ounces cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves, cut in julienne
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- shaved parmesan cheese
- Place 3 Tb canola or grapeseed oil in large sauce pan and heat over medium heat. Preheat oven to 375.
- Place 2 slices of mozzarella on 1/2 of each of the butterflied chicken breasts. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and basil. Fold over.
- Dip each chicken breast in the beaten egg and then in the panko bread crumbs so that both breasts are coated on all sides with bread crumbs.
- Place chicken breasts in saucepan and saute until bread crumb crust is toasted and brown. Turn breasts over and brown the other side.
- Place both breasts in baking dish and bake at 375 for approximately 30 minutes, till meat thermometer reads 160.
- Wipe out sauce pan and put in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place over medium heat.
- Saute shallots till soft. Add tomatoes and a bit of salt, and continue to saute till tomatoes soften and release their juices. Stir in basil.
- Add chicken broth, white wine, and cook over medium-high heat till sauce is reduced by half or a little less, and thickened somewhat. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve chicken with sauce poured over and a little shaved parmesan cheese.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe
Tags: doubled easily