If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These cookies are spicy, sweet and rich with molasses. Take care not to overbake the cookie and you will have a chewy center that will melt in your mouth. For added spice and bite, add diced candied ginger to the batter. —TasteFood
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/3 cup finely diced candied ginger (optional)
- granulated sugar for rolling
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, allspice, salt and cloves in a bowl and mix well.
- Beat butter and sugar together in bowl of electric mixer until light and fluffy, 3 minutes.
- Add egg and molasses. Mix to combine well. Stir in dry ingredients. Stir in candied ginger if using. Refrigerate batter 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Roll dough into 1 1/2" balls. Roll balls in granulated sugar. Arrange on baking sheets lined with parchment paper and gently flatten. Bake in oven until set and crinkled on top, about 12 minutes. Remove and cool.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chewy Sugar Cookie
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
Have a ball (jar).