Author Notes: Growing up, we never had asparagus, Lord knows why. I didn't discover it until I went to college, and quickly began trying to make up for lost time. The first time I had this salad, the asparagus, peas and corn were all from cans, and I still loved it. Once I graduated to fresh asparagus, this quickly became one of my favorite summertime lunch or dinner salads or side dishes, and I have been known to eat a double order with a deviled egg on the side as an entree. You can cook the asparagus for my salads any way you choose, roasted is my favorite. - Kayb
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 ear fresh corn
- 1 cup fresh spring peas
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatos
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup parmagiano cheese, shredded
- Trim ends and peel asparagus, if needed. Put on foil-lined cookie sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Roast at 450 for about 8 minutes, until crisp-tender.
- Shuck and silk corn and rub with butter. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and microwave for two minutes on high. Cool and cut off kernels; set aside.
- Steam peas until just crisp-tender (about 1 minute); set aside.
- Slice tomatos and arrange slices on four salad plates. Sprinkle with salt and cracked pepper to taste.
- Layer asparagus on top of tomatos. Toss peas and corn together and spoon over asparagus. Whisk remaining olive oil and wine vinegar, and drizzle over salads. Top with a sprinkle of Parmagiano.
- Note: Vegetables can be cooked ahead and refrigerated (or held at room temp for 2-3 hours) before assembly. If refrigerated, let them come back to room temp before assembling.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Asparagus Recipe