Author Notes: Again, no photo because I haven't made this since last summer, but it's a favorite for a luxurious dinner. Scallops are so good, and so pricy, that I don't want to do much to them; the garlic aiolo provides the perfect note to offset the sweetness of the scallops, and a squeeze of lemon over the whole thing cuts the richness just enough. - Kayb
Scallops and asparagus
- 1 pound asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 pound scallops, dried and muscle trimmed away
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 lemons, quartered
Garlic aioli with caviar
- 3 egg yolks
- juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ounce caviar
- Preheat broiler and line a baking sheet with foil. Drizzle half of olive oil on foil; add asparagus and scallops, drizzle with the remaining oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil with rack at middle height for three minutes; flip scallops, turn asparagus, and broil for 2-3 more.
- In a blender, whiz together egg yolks, minced garlic and lemon juice. Add olive oil in a thin stream with blender running. If it's too thick, add more lemon juice.
- Arrange scallops and asparagus on plates and drizzle with garlic aioli. Top each scallop with a dab of caviar. Serve with lemon wedges alongside, and your favorite crisp white wine.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Scallops