If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Cousin to popcorn shrimp, and not a vegetarian replacement either. Crisp bites of seasoned peas, wrapped up in a shell of panko and flour and served on a bed of crisp, shredded lettuce, with tomato wedges and Tabasco or Louisiana hot sauce. —Kitchen Butterfly
- 1/2 cup fresh spring peas, shelled and rinsed
- 1/3 - 1/2 cups All purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons Panko or fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 small egg
- 3 tablespoons milk or cream
- All purpose/Creole seasoning/Indian spices
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Toss the peas with a teaspoon of all purpose seasoning, mixing well. Set aside
- Get 2 bowls: in one, mix the flour, panko and a teaspoon of all purpose seasoning and in the other bowl, beat the egg and milk/cream together.
- Put the oil in a deep pot/pan, and let it heat on medium - low while you continue
- The next steps involve: flour - eggwash - flour. So, toss the seasoned peas in the flour mixture, then in the egg wash, where you should let it sit for a minute or two. Then, toss it again in the flour mixture, so the grains become coated. If you need a guide to handling messy foods....forgive me, for I currently don't have one!
- The oil should be hot (about 180 deg C), or test with a cube of brown - which should brown in about 30 seconds. Fry the peas in 1 - 2 batches and gently stir, till they turn golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon into a sieve and let drain for a couple of minutes.
- Serve on a bed of shredded lettuce with tomato wedges and some hot sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Spring Peas
Our Recent Favorite Recipes
Spaghetti! Pork chops! Croissants!
Our recent favorite recipes.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
Have a ball (jar).