If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Food52 Review: Probably not the sort of flapjacks you have in mind, these are what all granola bars aspire to be. Chewy, crispy and rich with butter, these oatmeal squares (or wedges, like ours) are made with golden syrup (the British answer to maple syrup, only milder), rolled oats, and a variety of seeds (pumpkin, sesame and sunflower). Londonfoodieny's flapjacks couldn't be easier to throw together (melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup, stir in the dry ingredients, spread in a pan and bake), but the rewards are great. Because of all the butter and sugar, the edges of the flapjacks crisp to a lovely golden brown, and if you cook them properly, the centers remain slightly chewy. We used a non-stick pan -- otherwise, make sure to use parchment, or you'll be scraping out the hardened sugar for days. - A&M - The Editors
Serves 9-20 depending on greediness
- 1 cup butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- heaped 1/3 cups golden syrup
- 4 1/4 cups 1 minute oats
- 1 heaping tablespoons flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 handfuls pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- scant 1/4 cups sesame seeds
- Heat the oven to 350F/180C/Gas 4. If you have a fan or convection oven reduce the temperature and cooking time but ideally turn the fan off. Line a 20 x 30 cm baking tin with greaseproof paper (parchment paper)
- In a large pan, heat together the butter, sugar and golden syrup over a gentle heat, stirring until the butter has melted. Tip in the flour, oats, salt and seeds and stir to combine.
- Tip your pan and spread evenly without pressing down too hard. Bake in the oven for roughly 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden (they will be slightly darker at the edges). Cut them, whilst still in the pan, straight from the oven and then leave to cool and set in the pan.
- The Best Recipe or Technique Your Mother Taught You Contest Finalist!
Recipe of the Day
We don't even want to taco 'bout how awesome these are.
Recipe of the Day
A Carry-On Cocktail Kit
A Shoo-In Salad
The Daily Grind
A Custard Jacuzzi