If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I made a pico de gallo-esque relish for a dinner with friends recently, and was left with a quantity of intensely flavorful juice from the heirloom tomatoes and aromatics I used that I just couldn't justify tossing down the drain. So in thinking of ways to repurpose that flavorful elixir, I came up with this drink - it's a little bit like a bloody mary, but all grown up and dressed for dinner, or at least cocktail hour. - lastnightsdinner - lastnightsdinner
Food52 Review: This drink was very controversial among the summer house group. Some took one whiff and refused to taste it. Others cautiously sipped and frowned. But three of us -- my brother-in-law, Scott; our photographer, Sarah; and me -- found it thrilling, like a clear, boozy gazpacho in a glass. It's concentrated and assertive, and with each taste you get lashings of vodka, lime, cilantro, tomato and ginger. I'd love to serve it in tiny, chilled glasses with spicy cheese straws, or with crudo. Scott recommended carnitas, and I'd happily go there, too. - Amanda & Merrill - A&M
Spicy Heirloom Tomato Juice
- 2 cups very ripe tomatoes, preferably heirloom, chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon slivered fresh chile pepper (I used serrano)
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss to incorporate.
- Cover and let sit at room temperature for at least 2 hours.
- Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer, pressing gently.
- Discard solids or reserve for another use.
Tom and Ginger
- 2 ounces vodka
- 3/4 ounce Spicy Heirloom Tomato Juice
- 1/4 ounce bianco vermouth
- 1/4 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Canton ginger liqueur
- 2 dashes lemon bitters
- (optional) cherry, grape or pear tomato half, for garnish
- Pour all ingredients over ice, shake, and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Serve with garnish if desired.
- Your Best End of Summer Cocktail Contest Finalist!