If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This was a recipe I created while on trip to a small beach town in Uruguay. There were no restaurants that were open that we wanted to eat at, so my friends and I wandered around the local market looking for food and in college kid fashion, we went straight for pizza. However, the incredibly fresh and tasty vegetables that we bought at the market made the pizza amazing. This recipe can also be made with or without the parsley, we just happened to find fresh parslet so it was a nice touch. - mollyjustine
Makes 1 12-inch pizza
Whole Wheat Thin Crust
- 1 packet dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup room temperature water
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
Pear, Onion, and Feta Topping
- 2 Bosc pears, sliced
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 cups feta cheese
- Combine yeast, sugar, and water in a small bowl. Mix lightly with a fork and let sit fo 6 to 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Mix well.
- Pour the water and yeast combination into the larger bowl with the flour and salt. Mix until ready to knead, then form into a neat ball.
- Sprinkle surface with flour and knead for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Roll out by hand to a 14 inch base.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet or pizza stone and preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the red wine and sea salt.
- When the red wine begins to bubble slightly, add the sliced onions.
- After 8 to 10 minutes, or whenever the onions begin to carmelize, add the pears and parsley, and cook or 2 to 3 or minutes or just until the pears start to turn brown. Take off heat and let cool slightly.
- Add feta cheese to pizza, spreding evenly. When slightly cooled, add the pear and onion topping.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until the crust starts to brown and become crispy. Remove, let cool, then slice and serve to friends!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pizza