If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a home grown version of my favorite pizza at my favorite local pizza joint (which some of you may know as Pizzeria Mozza). You can use any pizza dough you like -- the one I've used here is Peter Reinhart's excellent Neo-Napolitano Pizza Dough from Artisan Breads every day. I've included the full recipe for the dough, but the toppings are intended to make 2 pizzas -- the dough freezes in individual portions. —Savour
- 5 1/3 cups AP flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups room temperature water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more to work with
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of your stand mixer. Mix with the paddle attachment at low speed for about a minute. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Switch to the dough hook on your stand mixer. Mix at medium speed for about 5 minutes. The dough should be wet but not too tacky.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled board, and knead by hand for a few minutes. Divide into 5 equal portions, form each portion into a ball, and store each portion in a lightly oiled ziplock bag. (At this point, you should be able to freeze the bags you don't plan to use immediately).
- Let the dough sit in the refrigerator at least overnight, or up to 4 days.
- About 90 minutes before you plan to bake the pizzas, take the dough out of the refrigerator, form into a neat ball, and let rest at room temperature on a floured or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees (or higher). Form the pizza dough into a flat dish on a floured sheet. It is now ready for toppings.
For the toppings
- 4 leeks, white and light green parts only
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup cream
- salt to taste
- 4 pieces bacon
- olive oil
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
- Clean the leeks by slicing them lengthwise and running them under water until all the layers are clean. Roughly chop into 1 inch pieces.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the leeks, and cook over medium heat until they start to soften.
- Add the wine, and cook until absorbed. Add the cream, and cook until absorbed. Salt to taste and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, chop the bacon into bite sized pieces and fry until cooked but not too crisp (it cooks further in the oven).
- Brush each pizza crust with olive oil. Arrange the leeks, the cooked bacon, and crumbled goat cheese over the top of each pizza.
- Bake at 500 degrees 15 minutes.
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.