Author Notes: In the spring and summer, I like to grill every part of the meal if I can. When friends told me they'd had grilled salad, I couldn't wait to try it. This simple ceasar salad comes together in minutes. The lettuce and baguette are grilled for a nice charred flavor, and the super easy dressing uses ingredients you probably already have at home. For a heartier meal, add sliced, grilled chicken. - Loves Food Loves to Eat - Loves Food Loves to Eat
Food52 Review: For being egg-less and anchovy-less, this ultra-quick recipe does an amazing job of simulating a classic Caesar dressing and doesn't wimp out on flavor -- there's still plenty of punch from the lemon, Worcestershire and garlic. The grilling technique renders the leaves beautifully charred and wilted on one side and crisp on the other. - Kristen
Serves 2 for a meal, 4-6 for a side
- 1.5 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1-2 cloves pressed garlic
- 1/3 cup fresh grated parmesan
- generous salt and pepper
- 1 large romaine heart (or 2 small-medium)
- 1/2 baguette- halved lengthwise
- For dressing, whisk to combine everything except romaine and baguette. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat barbeque to medium/medium high heat.
- Cut romaine heart(s) lengthwise in half, and brush cut side with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brush baguette with olive oil.
- Place romaine and bread cut side down on grill and cook 1-2 minutes, until charred, but not overly wilted.
- Serve still warm. For presentation, serve romaine hearts whole, surrounded by bread and dress to your liking. Or, slice lettuce crosswise and serve in a bowl, with sliced baguette and dressing.