If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: As you can see, this is a green goddess dressing, but it shares flavors, qualities and ingredients with a Caesar dressing. While the romaine lettuce adds to its caesarlike ambiance, I like best to serve this dressing with old-fashioned wedges of iceberg lettuce. (I also use this combination thickened into a dip or spread, and some day soon will adapt it to a soup.) I was inspired by two green goddess recipes - one by Molly Wizenberg and one by Lynn Rosetto Kasper - although my proportions and finishing touches are not like either of theirs. - friendlyoaks
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce, washed, chilled and crisp
- 2 ripe avocados, divided, peeled and chunked
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon and/or lime juice
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste or 1 chopped oil-packed anchovy
- 2 tablespoons parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons other herbs of choice (basil, thyme, oregano, cilantro?)
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1/2 cup good-quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chives, coarsely chopped
- 1 cucumber, peel and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces smoked whitefish, trout or salmon, cut into bite-size pieces
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Tear the romaine into manageable pieces and divide among eight salad plates. Set aside
- In a processor, blend ONE avocado with vinegar, citrus juices, mayonnaise, anchovy, parsley, tarragon, the selected other herbs, and the garlic until smooth. Then add the garlic and blend again.
- Slowly add the olive oil while processing. As soon as it is blended in, stop.
- Add the SECOND avocado and the chives and barely process to make a chunky dressing.
- Divide the dressing among the salad, spooning it over the romaine. Garnish each slad with cucumber slices and smoked fish. Sprinkle with coarsely ground black pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Caesar Salad
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.