Author Notes: I tired to catpure the flavors of Mexican hot chocolate and spiced coffee that I enjoy when traveling in Mexico. I incorporate chocolate, coffee, vanilla, cinnamon and organe into a rich custrady Frehnc toast. - JoanG
Preparing the baked French Toast
- 6 slices good, crusty bread, cut in halves
- 2 discs of Mexican chocolate, used to make hot chocoalte, such as the Ibarra or Abuelita brnads
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons raw cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- t teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons rawa cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Mexican sour cream (crema) or regular sour cream
- 1/4 cup Maple syrup
- In a small pot over low heat, melt the chocolate discs in the coffee. Stir until mlted. Sitr in the butter, and sugars and mix well.Remove from heat. Mix in vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and orange rind. . Let cool for about 15 minutes.
- Add the cream and eggs and mix until well combined. Grease the baking dish and line it with the bread slices. Overlapping and making sure the crust is pointed up
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the bread, making sure to cover the tips. Push the bread down with your fingers to coat the bread completely. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Bake until the custard sets and the bread turns golden at the edges, about 30 minutes.
- While the French toast bakes, heat the almonds, cinnamon, and sugar together in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat until the sugar melts into the almonds, turning them a gold brown. Remove from heat and cool on a plate until ready to serve.
- Whisk the maple syrup into the crema or sour cream. Serve slices of the warm French toast with a topping of the maple cream and a sprinkle of candied almonds
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best French Toast